Thursday, March 19, 2009

JJo's Article on Rodriguez coming to camp

Catcher Ivan “Pudge” Rodriguez showed up at Osceola County Stadium late Thursday morning before heading to an Orlando area hospital to begin the physical he must pass before his one-year, $1.5 million contract is official with the Astros.

“I'm here to try to finish a physical and then be cleared to play,” he said.

Rodriguez took the first part of his physical before returning to Osceola County Stadium on Thursday afternoon. He'll take the second part of the physical Friday with Astros physician Dr. Tom Mehlhoff, who was already scheduled to be in town Friday.

Depending on when the results of Rodriguez’s blood work are back, the Astros probably won’t announce the signing until late Friday night or Saturday. Even then, Rodriguez might not join the club to play until Sunday because of a previous commitment.

“I'm very excited,” he said. “It's nice. I think it's a good team and I think probably what I got to do is just meet the players and spend time with them for the next two weeks and be ready for opening day.”

Rodriguez, who predicts his first day with the club will be Sunday, visited with Hunter Pence, Carlos Lee and Brian Moehler at the clubhouse Thursday.

“I just look forward to meeting everybody on Sunday,” he said. “I think when all the physical is done and I'm cleared to play, I'll be ready in the field on Sunday.”

No comments:

Post a Comment