Friday, March 20, 2009

Cooper has more intensity than the whole team

Apparently Cooper is getting fired up (don't forget he turns into the green guy) over a lack of, well, everything. No hitting is bothering him, especially "the lack of intensity".

“I’m seeing a lot of the same types of at-bats we’re having,” he said. “When you have at-bats and maybe you’re not getting hits, you have to kind of fight a little bit in the at-bats. I don’t see that level of intensity when you’re in there and you’re battling.

“Maybe people feel like they are, but from my point of view, it doesn’t look that way. So it gets a little frustrating. It’s got to be equally frustrating because I have to admit I didn’t have too much frustration as a hitter, so it’s equally frustrating for me to see it and watch it.”

It’s not as though a manager has enough time to focus on hitting in spring training. Among other things, Cooper is supervising coaches, monitoring the race for the fifth spot in the rotation, trying to see which young players will be ready to help this season and monitoring the fight for a utility infield role.

“I’m not the batting coach,” Cooper said. “There’s nothing I can do. It’s not like they’re not getting enough swings. It’s not like they’re not working at it. It’s just awful, and it ain’t just one guy. It’s widespread.”


also on Chron, it provides a record of the worst ST records in the previous 25 years. Worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment